Sunday, July 8, 2007



I mowed my front and back yard today. When I do something like yard work it gives me time in my head to think. The sound of the mower is loud enough to drown out distractions. I love analogies by the way. I think of how I mow the lawn, starting on the outside and working it, going into the sun and rewarding myself by walking into the cool shade of my house. I go around in circles and watch my progress the entire time. Seeing the shorter grass of where I once was and the long grass cast aside in my path makes me feel accomplished. I see the middle of my yard getting smaller and smaller as I make my rounds, the incline that is a pain to mow is already finished. It was my first task, the hardest part is always the first task. I remember having that same attitude with school work. In fact during the mandatory standardized tests I would flip to the back page and work from last to first. The numbers steadily going down made it less daunting. I tackle most things with this approach. C does not. When I have mentioned our differences in past blogs I mean that we are exact opposites. We can be so similar but so different. It takes me 45 minutes to ease into a cool pool. Chris is already enjoying himself having cannon balled nearly an hour earlier. It is what drives me crazy about him. I look for meaning and the why of things. He enjoys whatever I am analyzing. It is nearly symbiotic. I thought of our differences last night while meeting his "friends" at rehab. I shouldn't do friends in quotes but it is hard for me to trust his taste in friends. See that is me being tacky and pessimistic, the old me. While I am talking to these guys (and I am enjoying myself, complete 180 from the last time I visited him at rehab a couple of years ago) I am finding out that they too are the jump in the pool types. I cannot be that sort of person. Motorcycles scare the hell out of me. I cannot breathe at the top of a roller coaster before it zooms forward. I have had one gun pointed at me and it nearly did me in. I asked these guys if their past girlfriends were like me and for the most part I got a yes. I cannot loosen up enough to relax like Chris. He cannot tense up enough to be like me. At least we weren't able to before. The codependent book I read helped me with it. In fact when I recently was atop of the highest roller coaster I thought of something in that book, something about control. I am not going to control when it is my time. If that roller coaster fell off the tracks and I died then 1: what a cool way to die, 2: I couldn't have seen it coming, 3: what could I have done to prevent it? I relaxed at the top, took a deep breath and screamed. I learned a little about myself then. I learned a little about me today. If I mow the opposite direction then I really only have about 1 line of clippings to pick up. An old dog can learn new tricks when given the right steps to do so. What a positive start to my week! (FYI, that happens to be the roller coaster that I was riding in this story. I thought it was really neat that I found this pic! I did sit up front once with C and I was so tense when I got off I couldn't enjoy the rest of the day. I have never sat up front again. Yes, I am a chicken.)

5 comments:

joy said...

I am trying really hard to stop judging my husband's friends...but really, they're such LOSERS...I mean really, they are.

I hate it because it is judgmental of me...but THEY'RE LOSERS. I'm hoping that as we (he) do more and more healthy activities, we'll make more and more "normal" friends...

Mantramine said...

A few of us around here. My addict finished rehab a few years ago and is preping ( I use that term loosley) for another round. These crazy fucking addicts. I too was/am a reluctant divorcee. So much so that this time around I've decided to for go the drama and let his use openly-ish. I don't know what I'm doing anymore and I've surrendered to my powerlessness.

My husband doesn't really make friends so I don't have to deal with them. I wish he would make some good ones. Good luck with his new 'friends.'

The Discovering Alcoholic said...

Your method works better for recovery. Old dogs (addicts and alcoholics) don't need to learn new tricks and go-arounds to the system, but it is the nature of our disease.

Anonymous said...

It's true, as an addict in recovery you need to loose all your old "friends" and the quotes are deserved. I met people in rehab, made "friends" and everyone of them went back, I went back.

You have to make new friends, have a strong group (not one, but many) of people whom you can rely on to be your support when you are feeling weak.

The friends I made in AA were amazing people, they would do anything for you, they understood, they were always there, it was just up to me to open up to them, to be willing to call someone when I was feeling week.

As a newcomer to meetings, I found it helpful to go to the coffee house with them after the meetings, to just hang out. I quickly made new friends this way. Found jobs, rides, and was amazed at the ability of an ex-addict, people who only think of themselves, could be so selfless.

Oh yeah, I am scared as hell of roller coasters, and heights, and even needles (go figure).

Anonymous said...

You know, I am so happy that people leave comments. I appreciate them, all of them equally though for different reasons. Us codies, you know who you are, are forever twisting our minds around addiction so I can feel you. The addicts lend such insight. It helps me think that I am not going crazy. Thanks to all.