Friday, August 10, 2007

My Major

When narrowing down my major I considered many things. I have a strong background in sales, automotive, customer service and food service industries. I am a quick learner and enjoy problem solving. I have strong values and morals (yes I know that I am married to my opposite, but hey, it makes life interesting). I want to leave a positive mark on humanity when I die and want to feel that I am helping my fellow Americans (codependent to the core!). I originally thought that I would continue a major in Business since I have that in my background but that is not what I want to do. I would love to help deliver babies but I would cry when that happens and that is unprofessional. I love education and school supplies. I also truly feel that childhood and adolescence is so important. I want to let those kids know that someone does care about them and their future. I landed on teaching for a number of reasons and having summers off was the deal clincher. I have more specifically decided on middle school and social studies. I have come to realize the importance of history and social interaction. I think the right teacher with the right tools can be the right combination for kids in the gray area.

So my major is education.

6 comments:

The Discovering Alcoholic said...

No higher calling.

Anonymous said...

I thought about nursing but that school is a job itself and I need to work full time. Other than that I don't feel any higher callings, like preacher? or doctor?

The Discovering Alcoholic said...

Oh no, my brevity gets me in trouble sometimes. I meant there can be no higher calling than what you have chosen. It was meant as a sincere compliment.

Anonymous said...

So I thought about your statement for a while in the back of my mind and I came to the conclusion that you weren't asking a question. So much is lost when we type. This has caused problems with my family in the past b/c they just don't get my humor. It is dry and satirical and nothern (blame it on the Yankee dad). I am graciously accepting your comment. Thank you.

joy said...

Education! Nice...

I taught for a while. It wasn't for me, but I'm glad that there are people who it IS for..and it's useful, and you can get a job after you finish school.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Ah, the world needs more good teachers. But not me. I used to teach and I was terrible at it. I wish I were good, because I would love to teach history/social studies. I have always wanted to teach history backwards, starting from the present to make it relevant. (You let me know if you use that crazy ass idea.)