Saturday, September 1, 2007

Wondering

My friend, A, has decided to leave her crack addicted hubby. I can feel it. It makes my stomach hurt. The same way an addict can spot another addict and know he/she is using is the same way a codie can spot another codie and know when they are "using". I knew he was about to binge and I asked her if she did. She admitted that she could feel it. It is something I think we can all feel.

I hate that drugs and alcohol rule and ruin so many people. It isn't just the addict, it is so far reaching. It screws up so many people. Society needs to do more than what is does now to fight addiction and the problems is causes.

I don't see addiction being addressed in the manner needed to curb it. If awareness and acceptance are stressed maybe it will change some lives. I know that until I fully understood addiction I really put C in the dirt and gutter. So many of my loved ones still would but they don't understand. It isn't a choice. It took me YEARS to get that small concept but it changed my thinking.

I drive down a road littered with crack heads and I used to think of them as trash. Not anymore. Now I see them for what they are; sick, lonely and lost. It is overwhelming sometimes. I know I can't change the world, but I would like to make it a little better.

2 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I have that same feeling when I see an addict now -- not judgment anymore but sorrow and compassion...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, now I can see past what I thought I saw before. It makes me sick and sad all at the same time. I want to help but what I have learned about it makes me want to help differently. Now I want to give them a blanket and a cup of soup where before I would have wanted to change them for the better, what ever that is.